Hotel San Bernardino

Many will lose their jobs, but the loss of the Hilton in San Bernardino will hit more than jobs, as travelers become wary of even staying in San Bernardino. The news is yet another hit for the city, which has seen major attractions head west — to Ontario, for instance.

By Jim Steinberg, The Sun
Posted: 06/20/14, 8:44 PM PDT |

SAN BERNARDINO >> The new owners of this city’s largest hotel say late this year they plan a major upgrade of the 251-room property, which is called “The Hotel of San Bernardino.”

The upgrade of the hotel, which until June 4 was the full-service Hilton Hotel on Hospitality Lane, will be done in stages, said Sandra Gilliom, marketing manager for DKN Hotels.

“The hotel will remain open during the renovations, which will include both common areas and individual rooms,” Gilliom said Friday.

She declined to discuss the dollar amount for the renovations and declined to say whether the hotel would continue to be independently run or eventually wear the flag of a large hotel group.

There had been widely circulated reports that the former Hilton Hotel had been shut down during the ownership transition, but Gilliom denied those allegations.

“We were not closed for a moment,” Gilliom said.

To read entire story, click here.