By Ryan Hagen, Staff Writer
ryan.hagen@inlandnewspapers.com l @sbcitynow on Twitter
Posted: 07/18/2013 02:24:08 PM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO — Residents and members of the city’s Planning Commission deliberated on a controversial proposed expansion of the Waterman Gardens housing project for three hours Wednesday night before the panel voted unanimously to delay a decision until Aug. 21.

There were too many unanswered questions and commitments that had been made orally but not in the documents given to the Planning Commission, said Commissioner Jim Mulvihill, who made the motion to continue.

Mulvihill and other commissioners sounded off on their reasoning for their opposition.

“My point of view, I want to get people off welfare,” Mulvihill said. “How do you get people off welfare? No. 1, they need a place to live. … I would like to see a little more specificity.”

The proposal would be to update the housing project built in 1943 and create a “mixed income” community — about 20 percent of it being market-level housing, the applicant said verbally Wednesday — by adding a 74-unit senior housing project, 337 multi-family and condominium units, a 45,000-square foot recreational facility, a 58,200-square foot community center and a 7,400 square-foot administration/multipurpose building.

Various improvements to the bordering streets — Base Line and Waterman Avenue — are also included.

To read entire story, click here.