pink_slip

Beau Yarbrough, Staff Writer
Updated: 03/17/2013 09:39:37 AM PDT

Despite additional revenue in their coffers, nine Inland Empire school districts have warned teachers and other employees that their services may not be required in the coming school year.

State law requires public school districts to notify employees with teaching certificates by March 15 if they might be laid off. After that, no additional teachers can be laid off in the coming school year. In comparison, non-teacher employees only have to get notice 60 days before the coming school year.

As a result, many districts tend to send out many more Reduction In Force (RIF) notices than they end up needing to, putting teachers in an uncertain position for weeks or months, as the state budget grinds slowly towards passage.

This year, many districts that have laid off teachers in recent years haven’t had to, thanks in part to added revenue from Proposition 30’s passage and Gov. Jerry Brown’s revised public school funding formula, which puts more money in the coffers of some of the most cash-strapped districts.

Historically, California’s public schools are funded based on the average number of students attending a school. In January, Brown proposed a change to the formula that would give more money to districts based on the number of poor, non-English-speaking or foster students. The move followed the Nov. 6 approval of Proposition 30, a sales and income tax hike that prevented an automatic $5.5 billion in mid-year budget cuts and millions more in cuts in future years.

But the Ides of March are bad news to 525 local teachers: