Garcia

Jim Steinberg, Staff Writer
Created: 10/19/2011 09:39:28 PM PDT

FONTANA – In a sparsely attended meeting, Fontana Unified School District board member Kathy Binks called for fellow board member Leticia Garcia to step aside until the District Attorney’s Office Public Integrity Unit can investigate whether Garcia violated any election code when she concealed her marriage to a convicted murderer who was in prison.

Binks said Wednesday night that Garcia should step aside until the matter is resolved.

Garcia said her marriage to Jason Garcia was a legally recognized “confidential” marriage license that is not a public record and places her under no obligation to disclose.

Under California law, only she and her husband or a court order can disclose the arrangement, she said.

At the time of their marriage, Leticia Garcia said she and her husband chose not to make it public.

With her husband’s release from California Men’s Colony in San Luis Obispo on Sept. 30, the couple decided to make it public.

“I understand the confusion that this law has created,” she said.

“I will have no other comment about what is a personal and private family issue,” she said.

“I wanted to serve the students and families in this district and have done so and will continue to do so,” she said.

Garcia was elected to her four-year term on the board in November.

Under the California election code, Binks said, falsifying information is a misdemeanor.