January 04, 2011 5:28 PM
ADELANTO • Eleven candidates are vying to win an appointment to the open seat on the Adelanto City Council — including a former mayor and councilman ousted in the recent election.
A council seat became vacant when former Councilwoman Cari Thomas was elected the city’s mayor in November.
Applications for the open seat were due Monday, and Thomas and Councilman Ed Camargo spent Tuesday evening interviewing candidates.
Thomas and Camargo planned on narrowing the applicant pool down to one or two candidates to consider with the full Council at a special meeting on Thursday. The appointee must be chosen by a majority vote.
The 11 applicants include:
• Suzanne Carter, teacher
• Regina Duran, cosmetologist
• Mark Ferretiz, Apple American Group employee
• Charley Glasper, former Adelanto mayor, retired Air Force chief master sergeant
• Richard Kerr, retired Marine Corps member
• Randolph Leyva, self-employed for Reliable Environmental Services
• Trinidad Perez, former Adelanto councilman, operator-in-training at Adelanto’s wastewater treatment plant
• Leslie Strodes, Southern California Edison employee
• Charles Sykes, International Association of Machinist and Aerospace Workers
• Jermaine Wright Sr., transportation supervisor
• Lori Yuan, homemaker
The appointed candidate will serve the remainder of Thomas’ term, which expires in 2012.
The special public meeting begins 5 p.m. Thursday at Adelanto City Hall, 11600 Air Expressway in Adelanto. View the agenda at www.ciAdelanto.ca.us.
Get complete stories every day with the “exactly as printed” Daily Press E-edition, only $5 per month! Click here to try it free for 7 days. To subscribe to the Daily Press in print or online, call (760) 241-7755, 1-800-553-2006 or click here.
Natasha Lindstrom may be reached at (760) 951-6232 or at nlindstrom@VVDailyPress.com.