Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Created: 09/27/2010 06:29:54 PM PDT

State university campuses plan to accept as many as 30,000 new students for the winter and spring terms after limiting the number of students due to budget cuts.

The 23-campus system did not accept applications for the 2010 spring term because of reduced state funding that also forced CSU to furlough employees and raise student fees.

The university expects to receive about 50,000 applications for its 2011 winter and spring terms and plans to start mailing out acceptance letters Monday even though lawmakers and the governor still haven’t passed a state budget.

CSU officials remains hopeful the final state budget will include $366 million in restored funding proposed by Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

“We remain optimistic that the legislature is committed to higher education and that the final budget will restore the necessary funding to the CSU. The restoration of funding is vital to allow us to serve these students,” said CSU Chancellor Charles Reed on Monday.

Despite the lack of a budget, the California State University system opened the spring 2011 application cycle on Aug. 1. With no clarity on the level of state support for the university, the cycle was extended past the traditional Aug. 31 deadline.

Earlier this month officials announced that a final round of one-time federal stimulus funding would allow the university to admit a limited number of qualified applicants as well as restore some services that had been scaled back due to budget cuts.

The decision by the chancellor’s office, combined with the recent disbursement of stimulus funds, will add about 1,600 new students in the winter and spring quarters at Cal Poly Pomona: 1,200 transfer students, 200 graduate students and 200 students in credential programs.