Sandra Emerson, Staff Writer
Posted: 03/12/2010 07:21:04 PM PST

Friday was the last day for most hopeful candidates to file their nominations to run for state office.

One of the most popular races in San Bernardino County is for Assemblyman Bill Emmerson’s seat representing the 63rd District.

Emmerson, a Republican, is being termed out and is vying for a spot in the state Senate.

Rancho Cucamonga Mayor Don Kurth, Fontana Councilwoman Acquanetta Warren and Redlands Councilwoman Patricia “Pat” Gilbreath are officially running to fill the position.

Paul Chabot, a Rancho Cucamonga anti-drug activist and Iraq War veteran, has also filed.

Mike Morrell, a Rancho Cucamonga resident and Upland business owner, is running for the seat for the second time, hoping his chances multiply now that Emmerson is not running.

“I think between my business being here, raising our family here for over 30 years and then running – that combination will hopefully give me a solid base,” said Morrell, who lost to Emmerson in 2004 by 4.2 percent.

The district, which includes Rancho Cucamonga, Upland, Fontana, Grand Terrace and Redlands, will most likely elect another Republican, said Jack Pitney, a political science professor at Claremont McKenna College.

“It’s a district that has a Republican registration plurality,” said Pitney, referring to registration information released in January.

“Generally any district with a Republican plurality tends to lean that way.”

A little more than 40 percent of voters in the district are registered Republicans and nearly 39 percent are registered Democrats, Pitney said.

However, only one Democrat has filed her paperwork to run against the Republican nominee.

Renea Wickman, a Redlands resident of 21 years and volunteer, will run unopposed for the Democratic nomination in the 63rd District in the June primary.

The filing deadline for districts with incumbents who are eligible to run for re-election, but decide not to, is extended until Wednesday.

Assemblyman Anthony Adams, a Republican, has chosen not to run for re-election in the 59th District, which gives other possible candidates more time to file their paperwork.

The district includes Claremont, La Verne, San Dimas, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Crestline and Lake Arrowhead.

As of Friday, the following people have filed to run for the Assembly and state Senate:

ASSEMBLY

59th Assembly District:

Several Republicans filed so far for this seat:

• Claremont Councilman Corey Calaycay has announced his run for Adams’ seat, but has yet to file his paperwork.

• Anthony Riley, former special projects coordinator for San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors Chairman Gary Ovitt.

• Christopher Lancaster, an advertising salesman for the San Gabriel Valley Newspaper Group.

• Ken Hunter, a Lake Arrowhead real estate broker.

• Tim Donnelly of Twin Peaks.

• Iver Bye.

• Darcel Woods, a Chaffey College professor from La Verne, filed for the Democratic nomination.

• Robert Gosney, a businessman from Hesperia, will be running for the American Independent nomination.

There are two candidates from the Libertarian party:

• Dan Fernandes, a retired aerospace engineer from La Verne, and Anthony “Tony” Tyler, a small-business owner from Apple Valley.

60th Assembly District:

The district includes Chino Hills, San Dimas, Diamond Bar and Walnut.

• Republican Assemblyman Curt Hagman is running for re-election in the 60th Assembly district unopposed.

61st Assembly District:

The district includes Pomona, Chino, Montclair and Ontario.

• Democratic Assemblywoman Norma Torres is running for re-election.

• Ray Moors, a restaurant owner from Chino, will challenge Torres on the Republican ticket.

62nd Assembly District:

• Democratic Assemblywoman Wilmer Amina Carter has filed for re-election. Challenging Carter for the Democratic nomination will be Gil Navarro, a member of the San Bernardino County Board of Education.

• Jeane Ensley, a Republican from Rialto, has filed to run for Carter’s seat.

STATE SENATE

32nd Senate District:

The district includes Ontario, Montclair, Pomona, Fontana, Rialto, Bloomington and Chino.

• Democratic state Sen. Gloria Negrete McLeod is seeking re-election.

• Earl De Vries, a transportation administrator from Ontario, filed for the Republican nomination.