By Shea Johnson, Staff Writer
Posted: Apr 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM
Updated: Apr 19, 2018 at 5:04 PM

VICTORVILLE — The city’s contract for law enforcement services will rise to $25.4 million next fiscal year, up more than 6 percent over the current year despite identical staffing levels.

The City Council this week unanimously approved the agreement to begin July 1, technically ratifying the 42nd amendment to the original contract with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department.

City officials said the $1.4 million increase was “directly related to salary and pension obligations being incurred by San Bernardino County in connection with its provision of police services.”

While officials haven’t yet identified the exact share, it’s expected that law enforcement and fire protection services — the two elements that make up public safety — will continue to account for about 65 percent of general fund spending.

Staffing levels include four school resource officers — three for the Victor Elementary School District and one for the Victor Valley Union High School District.

Both districts reimburse the city 75 percent of the cost of each officer in arrangements memorialized separately from the sheriff’s contract.

“We appreciate the time and effort the City Council put into reviewing and approving the proposed budget,” Sheriff’s spokeswoman Mara Rodriguez said. “We are proud of the partnership we have forged with the city and will continue to provide outstanding law enforcement services to the community.”

In June, elected officials used a $475,000 surplus to fund two new deputies and a marked patrol unit, as well as upgrade a fire engine at the airport.

To read expanded article, click here.