SBCO

By Suzanne Hurt, The Press-Enterprise
Posted: 11/28/16 – 1:12 PM PST |

SAN BERNARDINO >> Survivors pleaded to San Bernardino County supervisors Monday for more help in their efforts to heal a year after the Dec. 2 terrorist attack in San Bernardino.

Survivors, who work for the county public health department, and their supporters told of delays and denials for medications, surgery, physical therapy, counseling and other medical treatment their doctors have recommended since the mass shooting.

“You want us to beg you for help? I’m begging you for help,” said Sally Cardinale, one of three survivors who spoke before a special closed-session supervisors meeting.

A Muslim Environmental Health Services division coworker and his wife fatally shot 14 people at a county holiday party/training session at the Inland Regional Center and left 57 survivors with physical, mental and/or emotional injuries.

A dozen survivors were among more than 50 people who attended the public comment segment of the closed-session meeting Monday.

County board Chairman James Ramos last Wednesday called for a closed-session meeting with county legal counsel to discuss “existing litigation” with 18 survivors. Those survivors each have attorneys helping with their workers’ comp claims.

Survivors have previously discussed workers’ compensation claim denials and delays in private meetings with county officials and through phone calls and emails.

Cardinale, a 13-year county employee, said she and her coworkers haven’t spoken publicly before this because they’d hoped county officials would “do the right thing.”

She said they hadn’t done so “over and over and over again.”

Leilah Kelsey, who described how she hid under a table during the massacre, told supervisors she’s back at work but still profoundly affected by the attack — yet her counseling will end the day before the Dec. 2 anniversary.

To read expanded article, click here.