By Suzanne Hurt, The Press-Enterprise
Posted: 11/23/16 – 10:21 PM PST |
Another person has come forward about medication denials for survivors of the Dec. 2 San Bernardino terrorist attack — this time, the husband of a San Bernardino County employee shot in the face.
Osama “Sam” Megalla — whose wife Hanan Megalla was shot four times in the head, chest and arm — called on county officials to cancel victims’ tributes on next week’s one-year anniversary until taking action on survivors’ problems getting treatment.
The Caltrans engineer is demanding to know why his wife’s pain medication was denied again by the county’s workers’ comp program and its utilization-review doctors.
Vowing to appear before county supervisors at their next meeting and report the doctors to the state Medical Board, Sam Megalla sent an email Tuesday asking county CEO Greg Devereaux to direct staff to “stop these un-American and irresponsible and inhumane actions.”
“We, the victims and their families, do not appreciate the way the county is handling these cases,” said Megalla, 60, of Chino Hills, who also faxed the governor.
Wednesday morning, an online notice was posted saying San Bernardino County Board of Supervisors Chairman James Ramos called for a special closed-session meeting at 1 p.m. Monday — four days before the anniversary — with county legal counsel over “existing litigation” with 18 survivors, including Hanan Megalla, 48.
She was among 36 county employees shot at the Inland Regional Center.
Fourteen people died. The 57 survivors have been left with post-traumatic stress disorder or other emotional and/or physical injuries.
Last week, several said they’re being denied anti-depressants, anti-anxiety medication and counseling as the anniversary nears.
Two medications to treat Hanan Megalla’s pain, anxiety and insomnia were denied last week.
Survivors were surprised to learn Wednesday morning about the closed-session meeting at the San Bernardino County Government Center. Public comments will be taken before the closed session.
Cases handled by workers’ comp attorneys are the only agenda item. The online public meeting notice was removed from noon to 4:30 p.m. as officials discussed whether to meet Monday, county spokesman David Wert said.
To read expanded article, click here.