By Liset Marquez, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Posted: 08/10/15 – 10:05 AM PDT |
RIVERSIDE >> Attorneys for Ontario and Los Angeles were in court Monday morning. But this time they weren’t there to do legal battle over local control of L.A./Ontario International Airport.
They were there to request a judge for a stay in Ontario’s civil case against L.A., and Los Angeles World Airports, which has run ONT for nearly half a century.
Which she did.
Riverside Superior Court Judge Gloria Connor Trask agreed to vacate the Aug. 17 trial date in the ONT case. Years in the making, that case was set, but last week, L.A. Mayor Eric Garcetti and Ontario Mayor Pro Tem Alan Wapner announced a $250 million deal to return the airport to a local airport authority from LAWA.
“I’ll vacate the trial date with great joy,” Trask said, adding that the settlement reached looked sound.
Today, the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors is expected to vote on a motion to send a five signature letter to the director of the Federal Aviation Administration and any other related federal officials
asking that the final approval process for the transfer of Ontario International Airport to an Ontario authority be expedited.
Ontario was seeking damages on three claims — breach of fiduciary duty, contract and covenant of good faith and fair dealing.
Trask said she is aware the terms of the settlement agreement are still being finalized and offered to set a date for both parties to meet with a settlement judge, before then, in case it is needed.
Ontario’s attorney Andre Cronthall said, “We have no reason at this time to see a judge for that purpose.”
Given the complexity of the case, Trask was concerned issues could arise during the settlement agreement discussions that would require the help of a court-supervised conference.
To read expanded article, click here.