Sheriff’s Department still investigating threats, not releasing names of deputies
By Anneli Fogt
Posted Apr. 28, 2015 at 7:38 AM
APPLE VALLEY — San Bernardino County on Monday cut a $650,000 settlement check as part of the agreement reached with Francis Pusok, whose beating by Sheriff’s deputies was caught on video by a TV news helicopter April 9.
County spokesman David Wert told the Daily Press on Monday that the county cut the check and handed it off to the county attorney. The check was expected to be in the hands of Pusok’s attorneys by Monday evening, though Wert could not confirm that it had been delivered and attempts to reach the attorneys were unsuccessful.
The $650,000 payment to Pusok is part of a settlement reached earlier this month. The settlement stated that the county would admit no wrongdoing after video surfaced of 10 San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputies hitting and kicking Pusok dozens of times at the conclusion of a three-hour-long pursuit April 9. The settlement also prevents any further litigation related to the incident.
An internal investigation began after the beating was made public, but Sheriff John McMahon said at an April 10 press conference that the names of involved deputies would not be released, due to threats the department received. Sheriff’s spokeswoman Jodi Miller told the Daily Press Monday that the department is still receiving threats and it is not known when the names will be released.
“The investigations into the threats that have been received and continue to be received are still ongoing,” Miller said in an email. “As soon as we are able to release them, (we will).”
To read entire story, click here.