San Onofre

An agreement to shut down the San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station assigns approximately $3.3 billion of the costs to ratepayers in Southern and Central California and $1.4 billion to two utilities.

By Marc Lifsher
April 3, 3025

The president of the scandal-rocked Public Utilities Commission has rejected a call from a powerful lawmaker to reopen a financial settlement that apportioned nearly $5 billion in costs for the June 2013 permanent closure of the damaged San Onofre nuclear power plant.

In letter to the PUC last month, Lakewood Democratic Assemblyman Anthony Rendon, the chairman of the Utilities and Commerce Committee, said “it is imperative to investigate and scrutinize the entire settlement process” to assure it was “legitimate and uncorrupted.”

On Thursday in a six-page response, PUC President Michael Picker called the settlement “appropriate under the commission’s rules” and “supported by the record developed in the proceeding.”

What’s more, he added, the settlement avoided years of prolonged legal battles while providing some financial relief to ratepayers.

The agreement’s most vocal critic, San Diego consumer attorney Michael Aguirre, immediately denounced Picker’s written comments as “riddled with errors,” based on a flawed record and an exercise in “stonewalling.”

Rendon was not available for comment, a spokesman said.

To read entire story, click here.