New Jersey Governor Chris Christie departs City Hall in Fort Lee

New Jersey Governor Chris Christie (second from front) departs City Hall in Fort Lee, New Jersey January 9, 2014. REUTERS/Lucas Jackson

By Victoria Cavaliere
NEW YORK Sun Feb 2, 2014 8:07pm EST

(Reuters) – A New Jersey Democrat leading a probe of the bridge traffic scandal that has engulfed Governor Chris Christie said on Sunday he has seen no evidence to support claims that the governor had been aware of the apparently politically motivated traffic jams as they happened.

The remarks by Assemblyman John Wisniewski, who co-leads the probe, came two days after a former Christie appointee at the agency overseeing the bridge who personally oversaw the lane closures said “evidence exists” that Christie had knowledge of the blockage when it happened.

If such evidence does exist, a state panel investigating the closures has not yet seen it, Wisniewski said.

Separately on Sunday, Christie’s director of intergovernmental affairs, Christina Renna, resigned.

Renna’s lawyer, Henry E. Klingeman, confirmed to Reuters that she had resigned, effective January 31.

Klingeman also said that Renna was among several top aides who have until Monday to respond to subpoenas in the scandal.

However, in a statement provided by Klingeman, Renna said she had been considering leaving since shortly after Christie’s re-election last fall.

“I have spent almost four years working hard for a Governor I continue to respect and admire,” Renna said in the statement. “The transition from term one to term two is a natural time to pursue an opportunity in the private sector.”

Christie, who is considered a leading Republican candidate for the White House in 2016, has repeatedly denied any knowledge of a plan to snarl traffic last September in Fort Lee, New Jersey, near the busy George Washington Bridge that connects New Jersey and New York City and severed ties with several top aides over their role in the incident.

Christie has been dogged by scandal for more than a month since it emerged that several of his top aides and appointees called for lane closures leading to the busiest bridge in the United States, apparently as retribution against the Democratic mayor of Fort Lee for not endorsing the governor’s re-election campaign.

To read entire story, click here.