Rancho Cucamonga Seal

By Neil Nisperos, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Posted: 10/14/13, 8:41 PM PDT |

RANCHO CUCAMONGA >> City officials fear the risk of losing $1 million in state funds for the Base Line Road and 15 Freeway Interchange project if they’re not granted an extension on a requirement to award a construction bid.

Officials will request a six-month extension from the state Transportation Commission for consideration at the body’s Dec. 11 meeting, with the original requirement of an award to be made that month.

“Our previous schedule had advertisement in October with an award by the SANBAG board in December and the goal of starting construction in January or February,” said city traffic engineer Jason Wellday. “There have been a couple of delays on the project.”

Wellday said delays were due to the need for agreements to accurately reflect project responsibilities divided up between the city, San Bernardino Associated Governments, and Caltrans.

“Everyone had already agreed to what everyone was going to do, and we needed to get the documentation to reflect that,” Wellday said.

Cost of the project is $35 million from redevelopment bond proceeds, and city capital funds for transportation and infrastructure.

The $1 million comes from the Highway Safety, Traffic Reduction, Air Quality, and Port Security Bond Act of 2006, which includes $1 billion deposited into a State-Local Partnership Program Account, according to Caltrans.

To read entire story, click here.