Likely to face McMahon, Schrader
October 11, 2013 6:27 PM
Rebecca Howes, Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE • A former Riverside County and San Bernardino County Sheriff’s deputy announced his candidacy for San Bernardino County Sheriff this week.

Clifton L. Harris, who has been a resident of the county since 1963, is likely to face Sheriff John McMahon and challenger Paul Schrader in next year’s election.

Harris served with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department from 1974 to 1990. He then worked for the Riverside County Sheriff’s Department before retiring in 1998. He is currently a California licensed private investigator and holds a bachelor’s degree in business from the University of La Verne.

Harris, whose campaign office will be based in Victorville, said in a Thursday news release that he is running to bring diversity and equality to the department and to “break the cycle” of “nepotism” and “plain old cronyism.”

“Why is it that time and time again we get an appointed sheriff?” Harris asked in his news release. “These decisions were not from the consent of the governed.”

McMahon, the incumbent, is a former assistant sheriff who was unanimously appointed by the Board of Supervisors on Dec. 31.

McMahon, who lives with his wife and two daughters in Phelan, began his career with the San Bernardino County Sheriff’s Department in 1985 at the Needles station after graduating from Apple Valley High School in 1982.

Prior to becoming assistant sheriff, McMahon served as a deputy chief of the desert patrol stations as well as the detentions and corrections bureau, overseeing four jail facilities. He served as the captain of the Apple Valley Station for four years until 2007.