By Craig Gustafson and Mark Walker
Aug. 21, 2013 – 07:10 p.m./Updated 9:07 p.m.

Mayor Bob Filner reached a proposed settlement agreement with his legal adversaries Wednesday that likely sets the stage for the end of his brief, scandal-plagued tenure as San Diego’s 35th mayor.

The tentative agreement centers around a lawsuit filed against the mayor and the city by a former Filner aide who accused him of sexual harassment and unwanted sexual advances. Three days of mediation — overseen by retired federal judge J. Lawrence Irving — ended late Wednesday when a group of lawyers and city leaders led by City Attorney Jan Goldsmith emerged from behind closed doors to announce a deal had been reached.

The City Council will consider the proposal at 1 p.m. Friday in closed session and Goldsmith said no details would be released until after that hearing.

“The City Council has not heard of this proposal and our process at City Hall as well as the mediation process requires that we maintain the confidentiality of the proposal until they have heard of it,” Goldsmith said. “This is the process we follow. Any rumors you hear about the proposal you may deem to be untrue because the people standing here are the ones who know of it and we have all committed to Judge Irving that we will maintain the confidentiality of the mediation.”

However, political aides to potential mayoral candidates by insiders Wednesday night to expect a special election campaign to begin Saturday.

To read entire story, click here.