Redlands Unified School District

Ryan Hagen, Staff Writer

Related stories: Whitehurst receives 1-year jail sentence for sex with students | Superintendent acknowledges police probing district over Whitehurst case | Redlands Unified board president reads statement about Whitehurst case

REDLANDS — The school district will not face criminal charges for its handling of a teacher-student sexual relationship, the District Attorney’s Office said Friday.

Former Citrus Valley High School teacher Laura Whitehurst was arrested July 1 on suspicion of unlawful sex acts with a student. Two days later, Redlands police obtained a search warrant to investigate whether the Redlands Unified School District failed to report allegations made six weeks before Whitehurst’s arrest.

Police recently submitted their report to the District Attorney’s Office.

“I am very pleased by the decision of the District Attorney’s Office not to file further charges in the Laura Whitehurst matter,” schools Superintendent Lori Rhodes said in a statement emailed by Brad Mason, assistant superintendent. “Despite the hurtful rush to judgment in some quarters, it was always clear to me — and I think to anyone who had all the facts — that no violation on the part of RUSD administrators had occurred.”

There were only rumors and speculation about the teacher and student before July 1, district attorney’s spokesman Chris Lee said in an email.

“No factual information about a sexual relationship had been reported to any teachers or school officials,” Lee said. “No one reported observing anything sexual or having any knowledge of anything sexual between Ms. Whitehurst and the student.”