Pay Cut

Sandra Emerson, Staff Writer
Updated: 06/29/2013 09:28:39 PM PDT

UPLAND — Upland’s employees have agreed to concessions, bringing the district closer to solving $7 million in deficit spending in the 2013-14 fiscal year.

After weeks of negotiations and contention, the Upland Teachers Association has agreed to $4.3 million in concessions and the Upland Chapter of the California School Employees Association will soon be voting on $1.2 million in concessions.

“My goal as a new superintendent to work very hard to balance the budget so we do not have to continue going back to our employees for concessions,” said Superintendent Nancy Kelly.

Teachers agreed to nine furlough days each year, a continued increase in class size by two students, a freeze of step and column increases, and to pay $125 monthly toward health insurance.

If the district receives any additional revenue during the 2013-14 fiscal year, the settlement agreement with teachers will conclude at the end of June 2014.

The agreement is similar to the one proposed by the Association, which offered $4 million in concessions.

The district had originally proposed $5.8 million in cuts to teachers.

As part of the agreement, negotiations between the Association and the district will begin no later than Sept. 15, which is a major victory for the teachers, said John Glenn, president of the Upland Teachers Association.