Campaigns

Greg Cappis, Staff Writer

Eloise Gomez Reyes’ campaign is taking shape in the crowded race for the 31st Congressional District seat in 2014.

Emily’s List, the powerful political organization supporting pro-choice, female Democrats, officially added Gomez Reyes to “the list. ”

They had been supporting the Colton attorney from the beginning of her campaign against the incumbent, Rep. Gary Miller, R-Rancho Cucamonga, and three other Democrats, but the official endorsement opens Gomez Reyes to support from the group’s 2 million members. There is a link to contribute to her campaign on the organization’s website, which was also included in an emailed news release on Thursday.

“They have been very supportive from the beginning, and with being added to the formal list, it makes all the difference in the world financially,” Gomez Reyes said in a Friday phone interview.

She said she is drafting a team, including a finance director, pollster and a media director, in what she calls her first campaign for elected office.

Gomez Reyes said she applied, interviewed and was nominated but didn’t campaign for an appointment to the Colton Joint Unified School District board in 2011. She lost to Laura Morales, whom Gomez Reyes called a good friend and supporter.

Much of her campaign, thus far, has revolved around support from local community members and college students from San Bernardino and Riverside counties, Gomez Reyes said.

“With the students’ involvement, they also bring with them social media, and that’s exciting to be involved with social media and the impact of social media,” she said.

Another Democratic candidate in the race, Redlands Mayor Pete Aguilar, also appears to be seeking the youth vote.