Paul Cook

Cook

Andrew Edwards, Staff Writer

Rep. Paul Cook, now in his fourth month as a freshman member of Congress, seems to share many Americans’ frustration with the gridlock that seems to be increasingly seizing lawmakers’ ability or willingness to attempt longterm solutions to the country’s problems.

“My impatience is showing. My newness, my eagerness. That hasn’t gone,” he said during an interview in Apple Valley. “You’ve got to be on the edge to keep playing at this game. ”

Cook, R-Apple Valley, served in the Assembly for six years before joining the House of Representatives this year. His political experience also includes time as mayor and town council manager for Yucca Valley. Cook is also a Vietnam War veteran and retired from the Marine Corps at the rank of colonel.

While in Congress, Cook has seen other lawmakers and the White House allow the “sequester,” a package of automatic spending reductions, to take place even though politicians had repeatedly said the cuts weren’t sound policy. He has also traveled to Afghanistan with other House members and introduced a bill to restore tuition assistance to military personnel.

Cook also represents a vast district that not only includes land in the Victor Valley, San Bernardino Mountains and Highland areas, but also extends east to the Colorado River and north through Inyo and Mono counties.