Hmmm

By a Times Staff Writer
March 27, 2013, 7:31 p.m.

Riverside’s mayor on Wednesday defended the city’s decision to pull back a $100,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of fugitive ex-cop Christopher Dorner.

The LAPD says there’s still enough for a $1-million payout, culled from various sources during the manhunt.

Riverside rescinded its $100,000 contribution for information leading to Dorner’s “arrest and conviction.” Dorner was killed at the end of the standoff.

“Because the conditions were not met, there will not be a payment of a reward by the city,” Riverside spokeswoman Cindie Perry said last week.

Riverside Mayor William Bailey on Wednesday defended the action, saying the city probably could not pay the reward because Dorner was dead, the Press-Enterprise reported.

The reward “called for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the perpetrator, and that didn’t occur,” Bailey said, according to the paper. “We were bound by government code to obey the language of our resolution and not give a gift of public funds.”

The city came under some criticism for its action.

Two claims have been made on the money since Dorner’s death Feb. 12 — by a couple near Big Bear who were tied up and whose car was stolen by Dorner, and by a man whose pickup truck Dorner later hijacked.

But some groups that are reconsidering said they offered the reward for information that would have led to the capture and conviction of Dorner, neither of which occurred. Dorner committed suicide when cornered in a burning cabin near Big Bear.

To read entire story, click here.