Fontana USD

Jim Steinberg, Staff Writer
Posted: 01/23/2013 11:27:30 AM PST
Updated: 01/23/2013 07:18:31 PM PST

FONTANA – Fontana Unified School District police have bought 14 military-style rifles to protect students and faculty in the event of a shooter on campus.

But the $14,000 purchase of the semi-automatic guns has infuriated some school board members, who say that arming school police officers with rifles represents a huge departure in policy.

The weapons are stored in locked compartments strategically located throughout the district, said Billy Green, chief of the Fontana school district’s police.

Board members Leticia Garcia and Sophia Green are concerned that Superintendent Cali Olsen-Binks committed the district to a change in policy with no input from the board – nor the community.

Garcia and Sophia Green said they both have received calls from community members upset with the decision to upgrade the school police department’s firepower.

But several parents and students interviewedWednesday afternoon said they generally approved of the purchase – which came before a gunman shot and killed 20 children and six adults on Dec. 14 at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut.

But they had reservations, too.

“I’m kind of torn between good and scary,” parent Chablis Ruiz said of the decision. “I’m glad they have taken steps to make school a little safer for my two boys, but it bothers me to think about all those bullets that might be fired.