Fontana USD

Jim Steinberg, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/31/2012 10:23:07 PM PST

FONTANA – The recall effort against two school board members is in full swing, according to one of its principal organizers.

“We are in full gear,” said Jesse Armendarez, who leads the Recall Garcia and Green coalition.

“We need just shy of 8,000 signatures to become a ballot item, and I have a personal goal of 15,000,” he said.

The deadline is Jan. 30. It was unclear how many petition signatures have actually been gathered.

But Armendarez was bold in the number he could get.

“I want to show an overwhelming concern of the community,” he said. “I would love to get that many (15,000). It would speak volumes.”

Organizers began their recall effort against Leticia Garcia and Sophia Green last year, fueled by the trustees’ opposition to a city-run after-school program.

Some opponents of the recall effort say it is being orchestrated by Fontana Mayor Acquanetta Warren, a charge Armendarez and Warren deny.

“We worked hard to get her on this committee,” Armendarez said. “We really worked to get the mayor to throw her support to our group.

“It really helped us a great deal. … Her understanding of everything. … She really has a heart for the kids,” he said.

Armendarez said he has about 40 volunteers circulating the recall petitions and about four who are paid.

In addition to the grievance about the after-school program, which the recall group says serves 3,500 students, the recall