NFL

By Dakota Smith Staff Writer
Posted: 12/31/2012 05:54:07 PM PST
Updated: 12/31/2012 07:25:28 PM PST

With a six-week window opening today for NFL teams to apply for a move to Los Angeles, no franchise has yet to indicate serious interest in relocating here, a key stadium executive said Monday.

Tim Leiweke, president of Anschutz Entertainment Group, said he has not heard from any team that wants to apply in 2013 for a move to Los Angeles. Last year, the National Football League asked teams seeking to apply to move to Los Angeles to submit applications between Jan. 1 and Feb. 15, 2013.

AEG won approvals from the city in September to build a new football stadium named Farmers Field in downtown Los Angeles next to the convention center. But it doesn’t intend to start construction until signing a lease with a team.

In an interview Monday, Leiweke said he’s had talks with team owners on two National Football League committees, including a committee focused on Los Angeles.

He believes the plans for AEG to be sold by its parent company may be delaying football franchise owners from seeking a move to Los Angeles until the company’s new owner is determined.

“What I would guess … is that there is no club currently that’s going to file for a transfer simply because they are waiting to see what happens with our ownership situation,” Leiweke said.

“I haven’t been made aware of any team that is going to file for a move in 2013,” he added.

Los Angeles has been without an NFL team since the Rams moved to St. Louis and the Raiders departed for Oakland in 1995.

Now, the Rams and Raiders as well as the San Diego Chargers and Jacksonville Jaguars have all been subject to speculation in the last year as possible candidates for relocation.

Of those, the Rams may be the most eager team to move given the club’s ongoing dispute with the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission, which runs the stadium, over renovations.

To read entire story, click here.