Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Posted: 08/04/2012 07:12:41 AM PDT

Budget cuts alone won’t help the California State University System make ends meet.

With budget reductions year after year and a potential additional $250 million trigger cut on the horizon, only 10 CSU campuses will be accepting new student applications for the spring semester.

Moreover, those students will have to have earned an Associate Degree for transfer from a California Community College.

“This decision is based more on previous budget cuts, specifically the $750 million that was cut from the 2011-12 school year and because of that cut we are technically over-enrolled across the system,” said Mike Uhlenkamp, CSU spokesman.

“What we’re trying to do is bring enrollment down to match the available level of funding and the decision was made to limit the application cycle for spring 2012-13, which opened Aug. 1.”

Community college students usually transfer in the spring and it’s usually 16,000 to 18,000 of them, Uhlenkamp said.

The announcement about the transfer limitations came early last week Only Channel Islands, Chico, Fullerton, East Bay, Humboldt, Los Angeles, Sacramento, San Bernardino, San Francisco and Sonoma will accept applications from prospective new students.

Students who have earned an Associate Degree for Transfer can begin submitting applications with the priority application period extending through Aug. 31.

“A very small number of students meet that criteria … and if you’re wondering how this is affecting them, it is crushing them,” said Jenny Dannelley, Chaffey College’s Transfer Center director.

Chaffey College has campuses in Rancho Cucamonga, Fontana and Chino.

“They’re really surprised because they finished their course work and they’re looking to apply, which is now. And they’re walking in and we’re telling them sorry, unless you happen to meet this criterion,” Dannelley said.

“What we tell students, after we pick them up and give them a (tissue), is what the other options are or what else can you do.”

Two years ago, the Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act, or Senate Bill 1440, was signed into legislation and allowed community colleges and the CSU system to collaborate on the creation of Associate in Arts degree and Associate in Science degree transfer programs.

This new law requires community colleges to grant an associate degree for transfer to a student once a student has met specified general education and major requirements for the degree. Upon completion of the associate degree, the student is eligible for transfer with junior standing into the CSU system, according to the bill’s website.

To read entre story, click here.