By Neil Nisperos, Inland Valley Daily Bulletin
Created: 07/31/2012 11:38:00 AM PDT

RANCHO CUCAMONGA — The city is unlikely to file a lawsuit over not being able to receive money from the state to complete its redevelopment projects.

The game changer: new legislation – Assembly Bill 1484 – allows development agencies to apply for bond proceeds they would otherwise have been denied after the dissolution of redevelopment agencies.

The money will be allocated to successor development agencies after a thorough auditing process, said James Markman, city attorney for Rancho Cucamonga.

Council members at their Wednesday meeting will consider moving forward with capital-improvement spending for unfinished redevelopment projects.

The city would be reimbursed after the redevelopment bond proceeds became available.

“Basically, we have the money,” Markman said.

“We have not given anybody the bond proceeds. At the coming council meeting, I wrote a little agreement for the city to continue to fund the city yard, and when the bond proceeds are available, we can reimburse the city. That’s on the next agenda.”

Unfinished redevelopment projects in the city that had been at risk of not receiving money included a city maintenance yard project at Ninth and Hellman avenues and an 15 Freeway interchange project at Base Line Road.

Markman “has advised us that he thinks there’s a very good chance we’re going to get some of that money to finish those projects,” Mayor Pro Tem Sam Spagnolo said.

To read entire story, click here.