Beau Yarbrough and Kelly Puente, Staff Writers

The California State University Board of Trustees will meet Tuesday to discuss possible tuition hikes, limited enrollment, salary cuts and layoffs as well as pay increases for three campus presidents.

The new president of Cal State San Bernardino is one who will be affected – his pay could be 10 percent, or $39,000, more than his predecessor.

In May, the California State University Board of Trustees voted to freeze presidents’ base pay from public funds until 2014, but that left the door open to the trustees offering higher pay from other revenue channels.

“We do need to be competitive in the national marketplace,” Cal State spokesman Michael Uhlenkamp said Monday. “Through the use of private funds, we are asking the campus to provide a supplement.”

New president Tom s D. Morales would get the same $290,000 base pay as Al Karning, although his housing allowance will go to $60,000, along with $12,000 for a vehicle allowance.

The CSUSB Philanthropic Foundation would pay the additional $29,000 in compensation, bringing Morales’ total take-home pay to $391,000.

Karnig’s base pay had been frozen since 2007. He will retire this summer after 15 years.

In his final year at the university, he was paid $290,000, with an additional $50,000 housing allowance and a $12,000 car allowance, for a total take-home pay of $352,000.

Prior to being chosen as president at CSUSB, Morales served in several roles at Cal Poly Pomona between 2001 and 2007, including vice president for student affairs, provost and vice president for academic affairs.

Hired on May 10 at Cal State, Morales had served as president of the College of Staten Island in the City University of New York system since 2007.

According to a CSI student publication, he made $230,000 annually, along with housing and car allowances, chauffeur services and other perks, which brought his total compensation to approximately $300,000.

CSI representatives were unable to provide a summary of his compensation on Monday.

Besides Morales, the board on Tuesday is also scheduled to vote on the salaries of three other campus presidents. One is also slated to receive a 10 percent raise, while another will earn 9 percent more. Another president will earn 3 percent less.

The board’s finance committee will meet to discuss budget options in anticipation of a possible $250 million midyear “trigger” cut in state funding. The CSU will likely see the trigger cut if voters don’t approve Gov. Jerry Brown’s November tax initiative designed to help fund public education.

Options include a midyear tuition hike, cuts to enrollment, employee salary and benefit reductions, and fee hikes for out-of-state students.

“All of these options share one thing in common and that is they are all unpalatable,” CSU Assistant Vice Chancellor Robert Turnage said Monday.

Tuesday’s finance committee meeting begins at 1:15 p.m. at the CSU Chancellor’s Office, 401 Golden Shore St, Long Beach.

Turnage said the choices are necessary to offset the system’s severe budget crisis. If the $250 million midyear “trigger” cut becomes a reality this year, the system will have lost nearly $1.2 billion, or 39 percent of its state funding, since the 2007-2008 school year.