Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Created: 06/29/2012 10:22:47 AM PDT

CHINO – Chino Valley Unified School District finance officials have learned they need to cut their multiyear projection by another $500,000 for each of the next three years.

Officials disclosed the amount during the district’s board meeting Thursday night before the adoption of the 2012-13, 2013-14 and 2014-15 budgets.

The district has prepared a budget that assumes Gov. Jerry Brown’s tax initiative will fail in November. They’ve built in a reduction to their revenue by $441 per student in average daily attendance, said Sandra Chen, the district’s assistant superintendent of business services.

District officials said at their June 21 budget study session they could be $16.9 million in debt in three years if the state sales tax and income tax initiative doesn’t pass in the general election.

“We want to let the board know that we learned today (Thursday) that the governor’s signing of the 2013 budget, the proposed cut to education, should the governor’s initiative fail in November is no longer a $441 cut to (average daily attendance). It jumped to $457,” Chen said.

“So we are short by $16 per ADA. Which means we have not budgeted a potential reduction of revenue by close to another half a million (dollars) ongoing, so for a three-year budget that’s $1.5 million.”

The Democratic governor says the initiative protects education while closing the Golden State’s shortfall.

The district has already reduced its 2012-13 and 2013-14 school years by $20 million. That translated to multiple programs being discontinued and professionals being laid off.

At this point, however, officials said because they’ve already enacted the appropriate cuts to their next school year, they’re unsure of when they’ll make additional reductions.

“I think we’ll probably end up having to wait until November to see what happens, because if the tax initiative does pass, then we’re good to go,” said Norm Enfield, assistant superintendent of human resources.