Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Created: 06/21/2012 11:27:17 PM PDT

CHINO – Chino Valley Unified officials said Thursday night the district could be $16.9 million in debt in three years if the governor’s state sales tax initiative doesn’t pass in November.

The announcement came during a budget study session that discussed the district’s multiyear projection through the 2014-15 school year.

“If the initiative passes, then we don’t get cut, but at the same time, we don’t get any more money,” said Julie Gobin, district spokeswoman.

Gov. Jerry Brown’s budget plan to close $15.7 billion shortfall claims to protect education if voters approve an initiative in November to raise the state sales tax as well as incomes taxes on California’s highest money-makers.

If the taxes fail, the district could not only be dealing with the ongoing cuts to education but also a loss of state revenue and, only if it’s negotiated with its union, a reduction to the school year.

Chino Valley Unified has already cut $20 million out of its 2012-13 and 2013-14 school year budget.

Earlier this week the district and union officials reached a tentative agreement that would reduce its next school year by five-and-a-half-days and increases class sizes, but brings back 15 school nurses, 22 high school counselors, four elementary music teachers, and some adult school teachers.

The agreement, however, needs to be voted on by Associated Chino Teacher union members.