Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Created: 06/19/2012 06:16:47 PM PDT

CHINO – The Chino Valley Unified School District and its teachers union have reached a tentative contract agreement that would reduce the 2012-13 school year by five-and-a-half days.

The agreement was sent to Associated Chino Teachers for approval on Tuesday, according to Chino Valley Unified officials.

Other items in the agreement include rescinding layoff notices to 15 school nurses, 22 high school counselors, four elementary music teachers in fourth through sixth grades and some Chino Valley Adult School teachers, along with increases in class size.

“I’m elated that ACT and the district have arrived at a tentative agreement, nothing could make me happier,” said Sindi Wasserman, a full-time teacher at the adult school.

“However, I am still concerned that our program may not be as comprehensive as I would hope it would remain and as our adult and General Education Development students would need it to be.

In February, Chino Valley Unified board members had to reduce the district’s 2012-13 and 2013-14 school year budget by about $20 million, which meant the elimination of a number of programs and professionals, such as elementary school music as well as high school counselors, transportation and the closure of the adult school.

Even with those reductions, officials learned they are still $2 million in the hole.

Board members and district officials will meet on Thursday to discuss the shortfall at a budget study session.

The tentative agreement solidifies the initial $20 million in reductions.

District officials said they don’t know the exact number of adult school teachers that would be brought back, but that the school will remain open.