Ryan Hagen, Staff Writer
Posted: 06/19/2012 12:00:42 AM PDT
SAN BERNARDINO – The last City Council meeting of Fiscal Year 2011 passed Monday before city staff had time to prepare a budget for the year that starts July 1, so council members approved a one-month spending plan based on last year to bridge the gap.
The vote authorizes all city departments to spend one-twelfth of the amount approved for the 2011-2012 year during July.
That gives staff members enough time to work out a plan to provide needed services when projected revenues are lower than expenses, said Acting City Manager Andrea Travis-Miller.
“The structural issues which have resulted in deficit spending have implications for the upcoming budget and a long-term strategy to address the ongoing structural deficit is required,” Travis-Miller said in a report to the City Council, which must approve any budget.
The situation is further complicated by the expiration of labor agreements that had city workers giving up 10 percent of their salaries and by the abolition of redevelopment agencies statewide, eliminating a tool upon which the city had relied and many employee positions, she said.
To read entire story, click here.