Election 2012

Neil Nisperos and Benjamin Demers, Staff Writers

One would be hard pressed to find a June 5 primary race where it will be more difficult for candidates to break out from the pack than the 8th Congressional District.

The massive – and strongly Republican – district runs from the Nevada border as far west as Highland and Crestline, as well as south and east from Bridgeport to Needles and the Colorado River. It also includes Twentynine Palms, Fort Irwin and Baker.

The district, put together last summer by the California Citizens Redistricting Commission, has certainly provided plenty of candidates.

Thirteen to be exact – 10 Republicans, two Democrats and one independent.

Rep. Jerry Lewis, R-Redlands, who’s been in the House of Representatives for almost 30 years, had considered running but decided instead to retire earlier this year.

Observers said it will be challenging for candidates without a great deal of name recognition to break from the pack in this race.

“Incumbents have a track record with the constituency and newcomers do not, and there’s the added challenge of a new district, so it’s extremely difficult for anyone to break out unless of course you have a lot of money,” said Jack Pitney, a political science professor at Claremont McKenna College.

If no one wins a simple majority in the primary, the top two vote getters will face off in November.

Here are the candidates:

Anthony Adams, an independent. An attorney, served in the Assembly from 2006 to 2010 as a Republican.

Dennis L. Albertsen, a Republican. The computer scientist has worked for about 12 years at Jacobs Engineering at Edwards Air Force Base.