By Sandra Emerson, Staff Writer
Created: 05/02/2012 04:00:20 PM PDT

RANCHO CUCAMONGA – The city has been forced to let go nearly 20 employees due to the elimination of millions of dollars in redevelopment funding.

About 9 full-time positions and 10 to 11 part-time positions that were funded with redevelopment money were cut.

Three employees were hired for other positions with the city, City Manager John Gillison said.

“It was all related to redevelopment, so they were all reductions as a result of the loss of redevelopment from the governor’s legislation that happened earlier this year,” Gillison said.

Gov. Jerry Brown in June signed two bills that would eliminate redevelopment agencies and give cities an option to pay the state an annual fee in order to continue their agency.

The California Redevelopment Association and the League of California Cities filed a petition with the state Supreme Court arguing that the laws were unconstitutional.

The court ruled Dec. 30 that eliminating redevelopment is constitutional, but that offering cities an option to pay to continue their agency is not. As result, redevelopment agencies across the state were dissolved on Feb. 1.

To read entire story, click here.