Monica Rodriguez, Staff Writer
Created: 05/02/2012 12:13:28 AM PDT

POMONA – Members of the Pomona Unified School District board of education adopted a resolution Tuesday evening authorizing district administrators to issue preliminary layoff notices to about 180 classified employees.

“This is a very difficult recommendation to make,” said Darren Knowles, Pomona Unified’s interim administrative director of personnel services.

This along with other steps is a way of addressing the difficult financial situation the district faces, he said.

School board members approved the resolution on a 4-1 vote. Board member Frank Guzman voted against the resolution.

Classified employees include clerical staff, maintenance personnel and instructional aids.

Among those most affected by the noticing process will be campus security assistants, child development instructional aids and clerk typists.

Originally the list of affected employees contained 200 positions but was lowered to 180.

Knowles said originally 54 campus security assistants, commonly referred to as proctors, were going to be issued notices but the number was reduced to 34.

The 20 positions cut will become 20 newly created campus security officer positions.

The positions will require special training and those who fill the positions will have to pass a physical agility test, Knowles said.

Gradually all campus security assistant positions will be phased out in favor of the security officer post ions, he said.

The new positions will be phased in at the district’s high schools and with time security officers will be placed at middle and elementary schools as part of a programs modeled after one at Chaffey Joint Union High School District, Knowles said.