Canan Tasci, Staff Writer
Created: 02/17/2012 03:14:12 PM PST

CHINO – Chino Valley Unified School District board members Thursday night approved sending 105 preliminary layoff notices to certificated employees.

The list includes 25 counselors, 19 school nurses, nine elementary music teachers, three high school assistant principals, a high school home economic teacher, biology teacher among others.

All board members voted in favor of the reduction except for board member James Na.

By law, districts across the state must be March 15 send preliminary layoff notices to certificated employees – teachers, counselors, nurses and other certificated personnel – informing them they may not have a job come the fall.

“We’ve seen these numbers change in the past and everybody is hopeful the budget will take a turn for the better and more funding will be available from the state so these layoffs don’t have to occur,” said Julie Gobin, district spokeswoman

“Right now they are preliminary because of the statutory requirement, and there will be changes as we get closer to the final months because there will be retirements that we don’t know of yet, but to what degree, it’s not clear at this time.”

School districts are in a bind right now. After hearing the state is $9.2 billion in red, many district officials had to do some cutting of their own.

The governor has proposed up to $10.3 billion in financial solutions, with a proposal built on the assumption Brown’s tax initiative will be approved by state voters in November’s General Election.

If the tax $6.9 billion initiative passes, K-12 school districts will be spared from any additional cuts to their next school year.

If not they will have to make what they’re calling “worse case scenario” reductions.

For Chino Valley Unified, that amounts to $19.6 million in budget reductions, which board members approved on Feb. 2.

Thursday’s meeting however didn’t go without notice by students, parents and other educators.

More than 25 speakers spent two hours making a case to the board not to approve the notices for specific positions.

One of those advocating on behalf of counselors was a Chino Hill High School senior.

“My concern with the board’s decision to cut counselors is that I don’t think they understand how vital of a role they play to our education,” said Siam Fiaz, 18, who sees his counselor at least once a week.