By Ryan Hagen, Staff Writer
Posted: 12/06/2011 08:40:50 PM PST

SAN BERNARDINO – There wasn’t any easing-in period for the three new members who joined the San Bernardino City Unified School District’s board Tuesday.

Newly elected members Margaret Hill, Sharon “Bobbie” Perong and Mike Gallo and re-elected incumbent Lynda Savage received a standing ovation from a packed audience after Superintendent of County Schools Gary Thomas swore them in.

“Thank you for your vote of confidence, and I know we are going to get done what we need to get done, because we have the material,” Perong said, adding that the campaign brought the candidates closer together.

“Along the way, we’ve become really good friends. We’re here for the teachers, we’re here for the classified, and we’re here mostly for the students.”

Several big items – including how to pick a new superintendent, a vote that was postponed until this meeting so the new members could weigh in – had not been discussed by press time, three hours into the meeting.

But the first disagreement began soon after the board elected a new president – per tradition, they chose the previous vice president, Barbara Flores – and then named Gallo as vice president.

Gallo and board member Judi Penman both wanted to be the board’s representative to the Economic Development Corporation, the nonprofit agency which has had oversight of redevelopment in San Bernardino since March.