Wes Woods II, Staff Writer
Created: 11/25/2011 06:21:17 PM PST

CLAREMONT – The Claremont Unified School District’s recent raises for two administrators that officials say will save thousands of dollars have drawn criticism from the Claremont Faculty Association.

At the district’s Nov. 17 meeting, Mike Bateman was named assistant superintendent of student services and Kevin Ward was unanimously voted assistant superintendent of human services.

Bateman, executive director of district administration in student services, and Ward, director of administration in human services, were already working for the district.

“The Claremont Faculty Association soon will be entering into formal negotiations with the district,” said Claremont Faculty Association president Joe Tonan. “Given this increase in pay for district office administrators, we do not anticipate any call on the part of the district asking for furlough days, pay cuts, or additional contributions to health and welfare benefits for the next few years. With our top administrators receiving pay increases, we look forward to class sizes staying the same, or returning to levels they were prior to the recent fiscal crisis.”

Interim Superintendent Gloria Johnston said the administration reorganization would save the district between $53,000 and $128,000 annually because they both had been performing additional duties under their new titles after management cuts.

“Both of these positions have very significant responsibilities, and it’s appropriate they be assistant superintendents,” Johnston added.