Ryan Hagen, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO – The Democratic Central Committee of San Bernardino has taken back its endorsement of Teresa Parra for school board.

Chairman Ron Wall – who couldn’t think of another time the committee had rescinded an endorsement – said the game changed when union leaders brought forward objections that weren’t available when the party chose its nominees for the four available spots on the board of the San Bernardino City Unified School District.

“It was a disappointment to see the endorsement change,” Wall said. “This is a rare occurrence, and hopefully it won’t happen again.”

But Parra said the reversal – made because of her vote to fill some positions with temporary workers and because union members described her behavior at meetings as “unprofessional” – didn’t bother her.

“At the end of the day, a school board is nonpartisan, so really are those endorsements, it follows to how good you serve the community and the students,” Parra said.

And she’ll continue to list the endorsement on campaign literature, which is being produced now.

“They’ve already endorsed me,” she said. “I’ve already paid for my materials. They are being printed and I am not changing unless they have $5,000 to replace it.”

The party’s committee voted Sept. 22 to endorse Juan Lopez, district director for Assemblywoman Wilmer Amina Carter; Parra; Margaret Hill, assistant superintendent for administrative services for the county; and teacher Bobbie Perong.