Josh Dulaney, Staff Writer
Posted: 09/19/2011 07:49:50 PM PDT

SAN BERNARDINO – Red-light cameras got the green light again at Monday night’s City Council meeting.

But the program may not last more than three years.

The council voted 5-2 to appfund red-light cameras, the money going toward upgrades and camera installations at new intersections.

More than $669,200 in funding for fiscal 2011-12 was approved for the program.

American Traffic Solutions, the Arizona-based company that contracts with the city to operate the system, estimates it will cost $835,740 to run the program in fiscal years 2012-13 and 2013-14, according to a staff report from the Police Department.

The company projects revenue of $2.4 million, according to the staff report.

Council members Chas Kelley and Wendy McCammack voted against the new funding.

Kelley said it would be seen as a revenue generator.

She said she feared staff will come before future councils “and say that we’re dependent on the revenue.”

Still, the move is viewed by some as a compromise.

Earlier this year a contract dispute with the company erupted over how much it would cost the city to get out of its agreement.

An attorney for the camera operator told Police Chief Keith Kilmer the city would need to pay about $1.9million to get out of the contract, an amount roughly $1.8 million more than the city expected to pay.

To read entire story, click here.