Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff Writer

BIG BEAR LAKE – Sheriff’s detectives on Monday continued their search for the remaining Big Bear High School yearbooks containing a photo apparently showing inappropriate behavior by a teenage couple at a dance.

Investigators also were trying to determine if a sexual crime occurred.

Of the hundreds of copies of the school’s 2011 yearbook distributed to students, less than 10 hadn’t been turned in as of Thursday so school officials could cut out the photo, investigators said.

“There are two different sides to the investigation,” said San Bernardino County sheriff’s Detective Jeremiah MacKay. “There’s the one that involves the two people that appear in the photograph. The other side is about the people (who) are possessing the pictures.”

The photo appeared to show in the background a 17-year-old boy with his hand inside the clothing of a 15-year-old girl at a school dance.

The crime of sexual penetration of a child may have occurred, sheriff’s officials said.

Both teens were students of the school when the picture was taken.

It’s unknown how the photo escaped the notice of school personnel before the yearbook was published. But sheriff’s officials have said the teens were in the background of the photograph.

Linda Pyles, yearbook adviser, declined to discuss the incident when reached by phone at her home Monday.

“I’ve got nothing to say,” she said.

MacKay said the teens had been interviewed, but wouldn’t disclose what they said.