Neil Nisperos, Staff Writer
Created: 06/13/2011 08:22:08 PM PDT

ONTARIO – The University of La Verne College of Law will lose its provisional accreditation from the American Bar Association at the end of the month because of low pass rates by first-time bar takers.

The ABA Council’s opinion was that the law school had not sufficiently improved in recent years.

The decision was made this past weekend at a meeting in Salt Lake City.

“We are deeply disappointed but not defeated,” said Allen Easley, the dean of the College of Law.

“Once we receive the council’s formal announcement, we will review the findings and take action accordingly. It remains our ultimate mission to provide the very best law-school education and experience possible to our students.”

Students who graduate from a law school without approval from the Chicago-based Bar Association can’t take a multistate bar exam.

Some students have voiced a desire to transfer, such as Matt K. Jones, a first-year law student.

“The primary concern for students right now is obviously taking the bar exam in other states,” Jones said.

“We have international students and other students that travel to La Verne from out of state with the intention of returning out of state, and if we are not ABA-approved when those students graduate, then they are unable to take the bar in their states.”

Officials at the College of Law, which was founded in 1970, plan this week to seek an expedited timeline to regain provisional accreditation approval from the ABA, Easley said.

Normally, the process would mean a 10-month wait, leading toward a possible decision in the spring of 2013.

Easley said he hopes the association will expedite the process for possible approval in spring 2012.

Dozens of graduates are expected to take the bar exam in 2012.

College officials said the university is applying for state bar accreditation to ensure every current student will be able to take the California exam after they graduate.