Neil Nisperos, Staff Writer
Created: 05/21/2011 07:07:44 AM PDT

CHINO – Teachers union officials are asking Chino Valley Unified to adhere to contract language that returns excess state revenue back to members in light of concessions made last year to help balance the budget.

At issue is the 2010-2011 contract agreed to by the Associated Chino Teachers union and the school district last June.

The district now owes teachers about $3.7 million in excess state revenue to compensate some of the nearly $10 million in concessions agreed to by the union, which included 10 furlough days over two years and a class size increase, union officials said.

“The district says that in essence they received $6.7 million more than they anticipated this school year,” said Don Taylor, executive director of the union. “With the five furlough days and the additional students, the concessions have saved the district way more money than they actually needed, so this is excess for their budget this year and next year.”

District spokeswoman Julie Gobin said the district is currently in negotiations with the union regarding the matter.

Union officials said the contract stipulates the return of 55 cents on the dollar of excess state revenue if the district receives more than an earlier projected base revenue limit of state funds at $4,978 per student.

The state budget adoption by Sacramento lawmakers last fall changed that per student state revenue figure to $5,202, according to union officials.