Juliette Funes, Staff Writer
Created: 04/23/2011 09:48:30 PM PDT

DIAMOND BAR – City officials recently approved a housing plan that will allow for the development of nearly 500 low- and very-low income homes on an undeveloped site near Diamond Ranch High School.

But that doesn’t mean the housing will be built.

The City Council this week approved the city’s updated General Plan Housing Element for the 2008-14 planning period to include more high-density multifamily housing.

State law mandates that cities increase housing opportunities to residents of all income levels.

So Diamond Bar must accommodate 1,110 new housing units by 2014, including 466 units for low- and very-low income residents, under rules set by the Southern California Association of Governments Regional Housing Needs Assessment.

Since the city does not have the capacity to fit the number of low-income units, it must rezone.

“The key requirement is that the city has to demonstrate that it has the realistic and adequate capacity to accommodate the amount of development that is embodied in that regional housing needs allocation,” said John Douglas, a consultant to the city.

While cities do not normally build housing, they have to supply the room, he explained.

Officials are proposing to rezone and increase density on parts of 112 acres of Tres Hermanos, an undeveloped property in the northern portion of the city.