District claims city overcharged $410,900 in trash fees over 15 years
April 22, 2011 3:10 PM
Natasha Lindstrom, Staff Writer

VICTORVILLE • The Victor Valley Union High School District is moving forward with a lawsuit against the city of Victorville in an attempt to recoup up to $410,400 in alleged trash fee overcharges.

The Board of Trustees on Thursday night unanimously directed district counsel to pursue the next steps in the litigation process, with plans to file a lawsuit by the end of next week.

VVUHSD attorney Gretchen Shiple of Fragen Friedman and Fulfrost LLP has alleged that as a school district, VVUHSD should have been exempt from $2,280 in monthly waste disposal administrative and franchise fees it had been wrongfully billed for 15 years. The school district terminated trash collection services with the city in March 2010 after school officials said they discovered the district had been “regularly overcharged.”

For more about the lawsuit, read the full story in Saturday’s Daily Press. Get complete stories every day with the “exactly as printed” Daily Press E-edition, only $5 per month! Click here to try it free for 7 days. To subscribe to the Daily Press in print or online, call (760) 241-7755, 1-800-553-2006 or click here.

Natasha Lindstrom may be reached at (760) 951-6232 or at nlindstrom@VVDailyPress.com.