Resolution OK’d backing Brown plan
Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer
Posted: 03/07/2011 06:02:13 PM PST

The San Bernardino County Board of Education passed a resolution Monday supporting Gov. Jerry Brown’s effort to place a tax extension measure on the June special election ballot.

Brown is banking on voter approval of a five-year extension of taxes to shore up $12 billion of the state’s projected $25.4 billion shortfall.

“In my eyes this is important because the finances of the state are such that school districts have already taken a 20 percent reduction of funds, and I don’t know how they can take any more,” board President Mark Sumpter said at Monday’s meeting.

The county board of education joins 241 school districts and county offices that have adopted resolutions supporting Brown’s plan in recent weeks, according to the California School Boards Association.

Most are doing so in anticipation of $2 billion in cuts for the 2011-12 school year that would take place if voters reject Brown’s request to extend the revenues or the Legislature cannot muster a two-thirds majority to put the question on the ballot. That’s an additional $330 per student, officials said.

The cut would come on top of $18 billion in cuts over the last three budget years, with $1 out of every $5 going to districts now being deferred, officials said.