Josh Dulaney, Staff Writer
Posted: 01/02/2011 03:51:41 PM PST

San Bernardino County has launched a monthlong outreach seeking the public’s input on the future of the region.

Known as The Vision Project, the joint effort by the Board of Supervisors and San Bernardino Associated Governments, the county’s transportation authority also known as Sanbag, includes an Internet survey and 15 community meetings around the county.

The project is the first of its kind for the county and will augment its community indicators report, said county spokesman David Wert.

“The idea here is to create a vision that will lead the county for the next 20 years,” Wert said.

Through the end of this month, residents can take the online survey at www.sbcounty.gov/vision and attend one of the meetings to discuss community issues with county officials.

Public comments along with the survey results will be used to help create a draft vision to be presented at the annual City-County Conference in March for finalization.

Wert said high school and college students are especially encouraged to participate because they will shape the county’s future.

The county hopes to use input from the students to find out what it will take to keep them from leaving the area when they graduate.

Community meetings will be held on the following dates at the following locations: