Debbie Pfeiffer Trunnell, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO – With the start of school for many city schools two weeks away, the teachers union and district have yet to ink a deal regarding reforms to be used at 11 campuses.

According to Rebecca Harper, president of the San Bernardino Teachers Association, many items are still being negotiated with the San Bernardino City Unified School District regarding the implications of the two models chosen.

At its July 6 meeting, the school board decided to use the transformation and turnaround reforms at the schools listed as the lowest achievers in the state.

Both interventions require replacing principals and rewarding teachers who improve student achievement with financial incentives, opportunities for advancement and flexible work conditions.

The district has applied for School Improvement Grant funding, which it will use to put many aspects of the reforms in place.

Superintendent Arturo Delgado said at this point principals have been replaced at nine of the 11 schools and teacher-developed plans – put together when the charter model was originally approved, prior to being changed to turnaround – are still in place.

“It continues to be a work in progress with increasing the school year and evaluations based on student performance data all still being negotiated,” he said of talks between the union and district.