Cortes

Melissa Pinion-Whitt, Staff Writer
Posted: 06/30/2010 02:36:57 PM PDT

A Grand Terrace councilwoman who sought a permanent restraining order against a resident she claimed was harassing her withdrew the request Wednesday in San Bernardino Superior Court.

The request by Bea Cortes would have barred Kay Moore from all Grand Terrace council meetings, City Hall, city events and other locations if it had been granted. But Cortes said she decided against pursuing it, opting to steer clear of a restaurant Moore frequents.

“I’m following the advice of my attorney,” she said.

Cortes, elected to the council in 2002, sought the order following two spats at JB’s Lighthouse Bar, including one where she claims Moore confronted her in the restroom.

Cortes said in the restraining order request that Moore “came up close to my face” in the women’s restroom and blocked her way out. Cortes said Moore pointed out to her, “You weren’t doing so well the other day,” a reference to Cortes’ reaction after Moore approached her and said she didn’t like her.

Cortes said that conversation humiliated her and made her “cry in front of everyone,” she wrote in the request.

Judge John M. Pacheco granted a temporary restraining order against Moore in early June after Cortes claimed she feared for her safety.

“She makes me feel very nervous, fearful and intimidated by her actions, words, stares and behavior,” Cortes wrote in her request.

To read entire story, click here.