Stacia Glenn, Staff Writer

SAN BERNARDINO – A new website rolled out today by the San Bernardino Police Officers Association is meant to showcase the union’s community involvement and historical roots.

The site – www.thesbpoa.org – offers profiles on the department’s original nine officers and background on how the POA formed in 1953 but will soon feature a newsletter with safety bulletins and notices about community events.

“I think people view unions differently these days and I want them to understand we’re not just a labor union,” said POA President Rich Lawhead. “We’re an active part of the community and we participate in things that help build and mold the community.”

The union’s Board of Directors approved the idea for a new site in February after they found their original bylaws in an old safe while cleaning the POA office.

In addition to the Web site, union leaders have also created a Facebook page with historical photographs and news about upcoming fundraisers.

“This is a medium to keep our members and the community as a whole in touch with what our current activities are,” said Vice President Travis Walker.

Residents will now be able to see that the union offers annual scholarships to high school seniors, work as waiters to raise money for the Loma Linda University Children’s Hospital and sponsor an array of activities, including the Ho Ho Parade and local youth athletic programs, POA leaders say.

The site will also include the POA’s political stances during budget negotiations and as the city works to close a $24 million deficit.